(we’ve already experienced all the cases below)
- #1 The program suddenly closes (leaving you out): see Moldova. Do you know what happened to the Moldova citizenship program? Who knew that the investors had just a window of 6 months before the moratorium? On July 31st 2019, the Parliament decided to establish a moratorium. Until then, only two people benefited from this program – one from India and one from Australia. They stopped receiving applications from the investors, apart from a group of 34 existing requests of people who applied before the terms. Every other candidate had to wait in line for 8 consecutive months before having the government slam the door to their face and hang up a sign saying “we’re closed”.
- #2 Over the last 2 years, the EU council has been active against all EU countries running citizenship or a residency program. Recently, this pressure forced countries like Cyprus and Malta to review their citizenship programs, to make corrections to the laws and to increase the requirements for new applicants.
- #3 The US EB-5 has demonstrated how nationality quotas can lead an applicant from China, India or Vietnam (investing almost $1m) to wait from 2 to 12 years – only to start the process.
- #4 Backlogs around the corner: it happened in Portugal in 2015 after a scandal over a corruption case. They are expected whenever there is a yearly cap (like in Cyprus or Malta). Whenever there are unexpected events like Covid-19 and if one of the mandatory requirements is to visit the country at least once to complete the process. It happened on several occasions, as soon as a program reached unexpected popularity and a high volume of applications becomes challenging to handle for the authorities.
What if your circumstances were not favorable?
- – Price increases suddenly, therefore no longer affordable or convenient. See: US EB-5, UK Tier 1 (Investor)
- – Your first choice is no longer available and so you have to be happy with “a second choice”
- – A new ban excludes your nationality because of political reasons.
- – A group of countries decides to harmonize the nationality bans and all of a sudden you’re out of five programs.
Are you waiting for that to happen?
- – Never underestimate the technical period (months) that a file requires to be prepared and submitted. And maybe, it is required to visit the country to complete the process.
- – You are seeing that the program is no longer “under control” so timeframes become much longer.
- – Next thing is that EU Citizenship by Investment may no longer be available, so now you are out. The only solution is migrating as everybody else does.
- – It was clear that the program was opened only for a certain period, you knew it. Now it’s closed. (i.e. Montenegro, until December 2021)
- – The options that used to be in the past are no longer available. You took for granted that they could stay forever. It’s late now.
What’s Available Now! ( until when and where)
- – Montenegro: Citizenship available only until December 2021
- – St. Lucia: 5-year Government Bonds (fully recoverable!). Option valid from June to December 2020
- – St. Kitts & Nevis: From June to December 2020…donation for a family of 4, only $ 150,000
- – Dominica: last 18 income-generating villa suites (of 120) of an existing and running eco-resort
- – Citizenship for a single applicant…only $ 100,000 (it’s public knowledge but don’t take it for granted)
- – Portugal: it’s considering removing Lisbon, Porto and the coastline out the real estate investment map to facilitate more in-land regions.
You’re LATE ! (go back above to see what’s available now)
- – As of August 15, 2020, the Malta Citizenship program is no longer available. It’s replaced by a new option with higher requirements.
- – As of early 2020, Moldova Citizenship is no longer available
- – As of late 2019, Cyprus Citizenship has an exit strategy of 5 years (instead of 3 years)
And we just saw how the Covid-19 pandemic had a long-lasting earthquake effect: see how suddenly it paralyzed several “first world” countries and whole regions.
That’s why the time is Right ( Now ). Never underestimate external factors.
Remember: Several governments are now offering you an opportunity. No country is waiting for you. No one is waiting for your decision, your negotiations or your funds to be available. The only ones waiting for you to take action are your family members
Just drop us a little note HERE and let’s stay in touch.